Our Corporate Social Responsibility
In our work and products, we have great attention to quality, responsibility and the aim to search for new ways to improve our operations with sustainability in mind. These key words encompass a wide range of focal areas such as our commencement of working towards more sustainable practices, business ethics and ensuring the well-being and rights of our staff. You can download our CSR Policy here.
Our design promises
In our search for new designs and concepts, we handpick our collection based on the following design principles: A touch of innovation, a meticulous level of detail, honesty and simplicity anchored in our Scandinavian design heritage.
To ensure that we present a coherent brand universe, we have formed ten principles - our Design Promise. These should be considered and reflected in every step of the design selection process. The principles are developed upon our brand DNA, vision and aim to embrace our ongoing transition towards becoming a more sustainable organisation.
THE TEN DESIGN PRINCIPLES
1. The design should evoke a ‘love at first sight’-feeling
2. The design must offer a ‘touch of innovation’ in form, function, or choice of material
3. The design shall fit into our existing collection or embrace the development of the brand
4. The design must differentiate significantly from the existing designs presented at the current market
5. The material must be evaluated - any possible way to use recycled materials has to be considered
6. The design must be able to stand on its own and in a contemporary context
7. The design must serve a clear purpose and functionality
8. The design must not cannibalise on another WOUD product
9. The construction of the design must be carefully thought through to, for instance, reduce the box volume and enhance the user experience
10. There should be an opportunity to add a sustainable element or aspect to the design
To act determined and yet realistic, we have carefully selected areas where our green progression begins. In the following, we will introduce our three guiding principles towards this green transition briefly.
At WOUD we want to do business in a responsible way by reducing our carbon footprint. Packaging is one of our greatest climate challenges. Therefore, this specific parameter, of our supply chain, is an area where we can create effective and remarkable changes. Making it paramount for our green transition. To approach this challenge, we want to make up with the global throw-away culture related to used packaging.
Our second guiding principle relates to our work with more sustainable and innovative materials, to lessen our impact on the environment. We believe that the most sustainable products are those that have a long life cycle. But to gain complete insight into the carbon footprint of the individual design, we have to start at the very beginning of the cycle - namely, the raw materials and the utilisation of them.
Development and design
At WOUD we want to take part in the ongoing sustainable development, contribute to bring focus on innovative utilisation of resources and inspire our surroundings. With our suppliers, consumers and other stakeholders in mind, we will work determinedly to create a waste-me-not collection, made from waste material.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Our products are designed to last. This in itself eases the pressure on the environment. We do our utmost to ensure that our suppliers are socially responsible and operate within the highest ethical standards. Our manufacturers and suppliers must adhere to our code of conduct before production starts. The code of conduct ensures that our products are made in a responsible way with fair conditions for the employees and for the environment. Read our full Code of Conduct here.
It is paramount to us that we act in a responsible and respectful way and thus, our work is carried out according to the ten principles presented on the United Nation’s Global Compact Initiative:
1. Business should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights
2. Make sure that businesses are not complicit in human rights abuses labour
3. Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining
4. Elimination of all sources of forced and compulsory labour
5. Effective abolition of child labour
6. Elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation environment
7. Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges
8. Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility
9. Encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies
10. Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery
We believe that the most sustainable products are those who have a long life cycle. This is most often achieved through the utilisation of quality materials, a timeless expression and the emotions that the design can evoke. If a product can affect us in an emotional way and remain in good condition, we want to keep it for our whole life and maybe even pass it on as a heritage.
We call this aesthetic sustainability.
The items in our collection are created with the intention of keeping its functionality and elegant appearance as time goes past. our products are not seasonal items made to be replaced or thrown out when fashion changes. The simple and modern expression along with the quality materials are made for use - for many years to come.
QUALITY. IMPROVEMENT. RESPONSIBILITY
We do our best to merge design and sustainability as seen with the use of recycled plastic bottles as fillings in our weave cushion series. Our sustainable business practices are based on integrity, transparency and responsibility, which correlate to the core values of our brand; honesty and simplicity.
We source raw materials with the greatest care and view sustainability as an integral part of the Scandinavian design tradition. our work with sustainable and innovative materials is to lessen our impact on the environment. With these small initiatives and actions, we are aware that we are not 100% where we would like to be. We believe that these actions and ambitions are small steps in the right direction. A direction we will focus much more on in the years to come.
POINTS OF ACTION 2021 - 2025
WOUD has begun a systematic examination of our business towards a green transition. We are ambitious but we want to act realistically; a green conversion is not done overnight.
As our first steps, we have chosen to focus on:
DESIGN, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Establishment of WSL (WOUD Sustainable Lab)
A lab consisting of chosen WOUD suppliers and a group of selected designers to cooperate on more sustainable ideas - encompassing for example new designs, materials and ways to produce.
By working closely together with all our suppliers, we will ensure better, more clever, efficient and recyclable/ recycled packaging.
Our employees are our biggest asset. We are a family-run business and we treat our employees as part of the family. Our company culture is characterised by openness, a democratic atmosphere, team spirit and a flat hierarchy structure. At our office, we are all Danes but our partnerships and collaboration with sales representatives and suppliers across the world create a diverse cultural workplace. When looking for new employees, we employ people because of their competences and skills - irrespective of age, sex, race, religion or ethnicity.